We put a lot of pressure on a book’s opening line, as well we should. I put a lot of pressure on myself to deliver opening lines that make a person want to read more of my stories, and what’s even more important at this point, make me want to write more.
I’m feeling sort of nostalgic about my stories. I’m not being very productive in them, but I’m enjoying reading them back to myself at this moment.
I figure while I’m not really writing, I might as well share some opening lines and let you all
cast lots take votes amongst yourselves for the best. I admit, I’m very fond of these and have withheld the openers I’m not quite as tickled over. But I’m anxious to know if my favorites are really that good, or if I’m just biased because I know my characters. Yes, I say characters. Come on guys! You should know by now, it’s aaaall about the characters. ;)
- It was the night when Faust should have ended without incident.
–The Shadow’s Light (Title Pending)
- The sleeping torch burst into livid orange flames with the spread of his fingers, devouring the darkness and cold that surrounded its aura like the heat of fire surrounded Baldorn.
- Beauty solves nothing.
–Beauty and Payne
- Torin was feeling the least celebratory of all those attending his engagement banquet; even more sullen than the butcher who was forced to bathe before arriving.
–Tierelyss: One Who Never Weeps
- My new patient was brought in by the police, screaming like a savage and wearing men’s clothing.
–The Baffling Case of Emma Browne
- She didn’t know who she was, where she was, how she got there.
Okay, so there they are. My favorites. Wow. I just got a little thrill imagining… if all these were finished… and books. I mean… seeing those together make me a little… okay a lot, proud.
I’d be prouder if I ever actually finished something!
Anyway, I’ve set up a poll. :) Because I think polls are fun and I love to share in the fun. I’ll even vote on my own poll! But not until I get a couple votes in. I don’t want my favorite to make you bias. ;P As unlikely as that is…
Awww, now I think it would have been kind of fun to play a game where you have to match the story title with its opening line. :P Oh well. I look forward to seeing these results!